Wednesday 1 December 2010

Snow in the city

I do love the snow. So many great photographs have been made in snowy weather. I'm thinking of masters of the medium - Andre Kertesz, Henri Cartier Bresson, Willy Ronis, and that classic shot of priests playing by Mario Giacomelli. So when it comes I really want to get out and shoot but I have that little voice in my head repeating "beware of the cliché". It's hard to avoid, especially in Edinburgh with all it's city centre church yards, gravestones and monuments. I take them anyway.

I was pleased with this though. I leaned over the parapet of St John's Church terrace and looked down to see the remains of someone's lunch and was caught by the tiny detail of brown coffee and orange-coloured soup.



2 comments:

Lynne K said...

Great photo, well seen!

Whoever was brave enough to sit out in the snow to have their lunch has a stronger constitution than I do!

Anonymous said...

very interesting. love your images.
I'll be back again!